That's right. Bacon-fu. Bacon-fu started as a joke and the idea of bacon flavored tofu is still one I can't take seriously which is exactly why I gave it such a stupid name. Nevertheless, this is one addictive recipe. Believe me. Anyone will eat this tofu including your boy friend. Baking it fills the whole house with a irresistible sweet smokey smell. Pop it in before your lunch guests arrive and you are sure to win them over.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbl nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbl brown sugar
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 16 oz package tofu
1. Preheat oven to 375. Slice your tofu lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick strips. Drain if needed.
2. Lay tofu in rows onto a large non stick pan.
3. Mix all ingredients in a food processor until blended. If you've never tried liquid smoke before, this is a great introductory recipe. It comes in small bottles and really packs a punch so use it very sparsely.
4. Using a pastry brush, paint thick layers of marinade onto each tofu slice. Turn the slices over and paint the other side. Try to use up all the marinade letting it pool up on top of the tofu slices.
5. Bake the tofu for 10 to 15 minutes on each side. The sugars in the marinade will burn easy so keep watch on it as it bakes.
Pile bacon-fu in a sandwich, crumble into a salad, or simply enjoy hot out of the oven! Enjoy your bacon flavored tofu: crispy bacon-fu!